Sunday, May 11, 2008

Let's eliminate Mother's Day

They don't look vicious, but looks can be deceiving.

I propose that Mother's Day be abolished. Me and Joy were talking and decided that Mother's Day would not be any worse than any other day if we weren't expecting it to be different, better. Joy's husband went out a half hour before stores closed on Saturday night and got her a $50 gift certificate. Joy was disappointed because so little thought was put into her gift. He claims he was busy because he had to travel one day this week. He was off the plane at 8:30 p.m. Friday and went out to party with friends 'til 1:30 am. He is off every Tuesday. So I can see why he could not find any time to shop for a thoughtful gift.


My husband works on Mother's Day. You see, other people take their mothers out to eat on Mother's Day. So he has to work. He did come home for an hour or two and bring me some food. Then he took a nap before returning to work. I was home with the four unruly children all day. I stayed in my room most of the day knitting. I have payed heavily for that time. Every time I left my room I had some major disaster to clean up. Juan managed to spill bubbles, soda, and water on the floor. He also ground cookie into the kitchen floor and tore up tortilla in the living room. The girls made their share of messes also. Papers all over the living room. Snack wrappers on the floor. Syrup on the table. Juan smeared syrup all over his face and into his hair while I loaded the dish washer. The scariest part of the entire day is that this was not my worst Mother's Day. My first Mother's Day I was left home alone with three three week old babies and could barely get up and down from a painful C-section. So, I think I will skip Mother's Day next year.

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Did he bring the food home from the restaurant, or did he at least have to drive somewhere different to pick it up? I doubt it. Two years ago, Todd decided he was going to eliminate the holiday and he paid dearly for it for several months as I treated myself to several gifts by utilizing money from his Navy pension. He hasn't repeated that mistake since.

heather said...

I could say that I hope next year is better, but....... My Mother's Day absolutely sucked!!! Both kids were a pain ALL DAY. We went to my Grammy's and when certain kids were leaving others out, I decided to say something and all hell broke loose. Had to apologize to my Grammy for that one!! Anyway, gotta go, Summer is in the bathroom closet again trying to get the make-up!!

The Houser's said...

Sounds like next year we should just come up missing;) I won't even go into my woes, i'd bore you all to death.. Mother's Day is a made up holiday by some stupid man!! lol

Carie said...

I like Tiffany's idea to come up missing. Next year get up early in the morning before anyone else in the house. Then dissapear for 24 hours. See how they do without us! Leave a note, but don't answer the cell phone.