Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Welcome to the Family!

The girl's wanted a pet. And since they are allergic to anything with hair we had to find a hairless pet. We started with an ant farm. That was fun to watch for a while but as they have all died rather quickly, they did not really ketch on as "pets". So we started discussing other "pets" and ended up with frogs. We got some little, and I mean little, African dwarf frogs. We had to have three because there are three girls and Juan is too little to complain. They are named Alvin, Simon, and Theadore (or possibly Theadora). They have been living with us for almost three days and have not died yet. I have been assured by Walmart that if they die within 30 days I can return the little dead body for an exchange or refund. Don't you wish all death was that easy. Above is a picture of their "habitat". Below is Simon and Alvin. Theadora is on land hiding from the boys.
The grossest thing about these frogs is that they eat dried blood worms. Well, I haven't seen them eat anything yet. I am preparing stale, dechlorinated water for them and a temporary Tupperware home to stay in while cleaning the "habitat". This will, of course, require me to ketch the frog and transfer them back and forth between habitat and Tupperware AND Tupperware and habitat. I don't mind touching them, but I am a little scared that I might squish one or lose one from my grip. If a frog got loose in the house I don't think we would ever find it again. The girls keep asking when they can take them out and play with them. Audi keeps opening the door to check on them. I don't foresee these frogs having any golden years.

3 comments:

The Houser's said...

I love the pets.. I think your right about the bird obsession;) How do we do an intervention on bird obsession though??? lol

Lisa said...

So I guess I shouldn't mention that I'm about to fix the bird a scrambled egg with some baby food carrots mixed in?

The Houser's said...

Carie - it's too late we've lost her!!